HS Basketball

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
jkf11610
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Re: HS Basketball
In reply to jonhewitt, Dec 20, 2012

As I see it most of your shots here are overexposed. It looks like you shot with aperture priority and ISO 1600 and let the shutter speed slide. This led to motion blur in a lot of the photos; the kids are moving too fast. The best focus is in shots 1, 3, and 7 where you have shutterspeeds of 1/500, 1/640, and 1/400. I think you'd be better off shooting manual with f/2 and 1/500 or 1/640. The exposure in the photos with those speeds looks acceptable...you may even be able to go faster. If you shoot in RAW you can always pull out a little detail in post as long as the exposure is pretty close.

Finally, 85mm is a pretty short lens for sports....though f/2 is great for indoor work. Without i you'd have trouble getting 1/500.

My advice is to take a look at other HS Basketball photos on this forum and look in particular at the EXIF info. See what works for others...obviously lighting will vary from gym to gym, but I've found that approach really helpful for my outdoor night sports shots.

You're off to a good start at timing and capturing the action...it's now just getting the exposure right, freezing the action with a fast shutter speed, and some tweaking.

Good luck!!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow