Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
harry cannoli
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,293Gear list
Like?
Mike..
In reply to sroute, Dec 19, 2012

sroute wrote:

harry cannoli wrote:
"Did I do the right thing?" I know this to be true because I did the same thing when I looked at a brand new $5500 lens that was staring back at me from the coffee table.

I've been there done that too. Let me introduce you to a few Schneider lenses in my past. Lovely, but there were other ways to get to where I needed to go. Live and learn.

Yep. Live and learn.

It's like the anticipation of an intimate relationship. You want it, you think of nothing else. You dream about the moment. That's the absolutely best part of any intimate relationship; the longing, the anticipation, the desire. Then the moment comes. Then the moment passes. Infatuation fades, that's when you start to think. You think without the filter of desire that's been over your eyes. Things start looking differently. "What did I do?", "OMG, she has a big *something* right at the tip of her nose."

Then again, you may really be in love.

I enjoyed reading ^ that ^. Carrying the analogy further, some of us probably need to be worried about rebound relationships.

Oboy, here we go..

In a way when I started selling off my medium format gear I might have done the rebound thing when I decided to put a large bunch of that cash into mirrorless compact cameras and lenses. I won't call that a mistake because the I've really enjoyed the freedoms small capable digital camera systems have brought me. Two years shooting mostly 35mm equivalent and I'm all smiles even though I know I would have done some other things with different gear. It's all good.

I'm ready to sell of my DSLR kit. Big, heavy, expensive. I'll go m43 for everything, I'm sure I'll be satisfied. Time to move on, change is good. 300mm f/2.8 on m43 is 600mm f/2.8. Incredible, especially for the size.

I've been pixel peeping and nit picking over the tiniest flaws and deetails for years. It's time for me to let go and enjoy photography again.

I've come around to consider that I probably would have been equally jazzed had I spend some of my cash on a capable DSLR and my favorite focal lengths, and instead of a high end compact system and adding even more rangefinder glass than I already owned, had chosen a relatively inexpensive, good enough IQ, durable, compact camera.

Take it from the guy who hasn't shot with a compact for years, until now. Being able to simply grab the camera and go is a feeling that is beyond description. Yes, I'll miss the long lenses and extraordinary image quality. What I won't miss is loading myself up with percocet at night because I hurt so badly. I'm not as young as I used to be, I need a kit that reflects my age and physical condition.

When I think about it, my only current attachment to my DSLR stuff are the memories of shooting wildlife with a bunch of good friends who also shot with super-expensive gear. It was nice to go head-to-head with these pros. Those guys broke me in and showed me the ropes. When it finally reached the point when I could get stuff as good as what they were getting, I was elated.

That's what I see when I look at my wildlife kit. I see memories. I really don't do that type of photography as much as I used to. I'm getting older. The gear is getting heavier. Besides, I've had more fun with my LX7 than I ever had with a 600 f/4. That is the truth.

At the time none of the more limited compacts appealed to me at the time but thanks either to knowing today more about what's out there (such as Ricoh GRD) or new products (example: Sony RX100) today I may well have made a different decision.

Things are indeed getting better. I completely agree. I'm blown away by how good smaller rigs have become.

You are indeed a pragmatic person, you skipped right over all the emotionalism and arrived at the perfect place.

I do think the RX1 appealed to me more than the NEX-7 and Zeiss ZA25/1.8 I almost bought in 2011 even though the latter camera is far more flexible, the rendering of the RX1 appeals to me in ways the NEX 24mm did not... and I already owned a 25mm and a swack of other glass. NEX-7 wasn't different enough to justify going there while the RX1 (ignoring price for a moment) was.

The RX-1 is revolutionary, but unreachable for me. My financial situation has changed for the worse. I won't be on the street, or anything like that, but my days of spending $7000 for a single lens are gone. I'm glad I did it, but it's doubtful that I'll be able to live that dream again. If I had a disposable $3000, the RX-1 would tempt me. I probably would pass it by, it doesn't suit my photographic style, but I would still want it. Just because. I know you understand that.

I'm happy for you that you did the RX-1 thing. I'm sorry it didn't work out. Honestly, knowing what I know about you, I didn't think the RX-1 would be a good fit for you. I wasn't wishing this on you, you're one of the few people around here who tolerate me, how can I do anything but wish happiness for you?

Had I decided to go forward, problems be damned, being so comfortable using 35mm as my go-to focal length I know I'd have made good use of the RX1. But the pragmatic side I know from experience would creep in within six months and at that point I'd be itching to make a decision - either keep it and commit the capital invested in it for many years, or sell it while the selling is good. I have done this before and chalked up the so-far relatively minor losses as fair rental on using the gear.

Makes perfect sense. I never really appreciated the struggle you must have had coming to terms with this. I didn't know that 35mm was what you love. Part of your reasoning process must have been just how important the pocketability of the RX-1 was to you. I always knew that you were no stranger to shallow DOF, that's not what made you pull the trigger.

But this piece of gear has such a premium price and being unique we really don't know well it will bear up on the used market. I believe there is reason to be optimistic about resale values or I never would have put one on order in the first place. But that's a best guess - without anything current to compare we've no idea if the RX1 will hold value like a Leica or Zeiss lens will.

That's interesting. For me, it's so much easier to pull the trigger on a pricey lens. The lens is forever. As soon as you glue a camera onto the back of that lens, everything changes. Sensors come and go, A quality lens is something that you pass on to your kids.

What works best for me is to reach my limit on glass. Then I'll shoot with whatever body I'm using at the time. When a body comes along that offers meaningful improvement, maybe I'll pick it up. Right now I'm shooting with a 7D and 20D. I have no need or desire to upgrade either of these bodies. I have no real attachment to them. They're tools. It's the glass that I adore, not the bodies. For someone who thinks like me, being able to keep the lens and let the body go is perfect. Nothing to sweat or ponder. With the RX-1, my reasoning would no longer apply. Like you, I would be thinking about resale and things like that. It's not something I'm comfortable with. Keeping the lens and losing the body is such a simple, elegant solution.

A modern DSLR doesn't hold value like a Leica or Zeiss lens either. Lenses can be forever, sensors are in the long run disposable. The RX1 is probably somewhere in the middle, aided at this time by lack of competition. That'll change at some point we can't predict so there's another concern.

I reply as I read your words. Had I have read this ^^^ first, I never would have penned my above two paragraphs. What you state here is so true.

If anything pondering over the RX1 for the last few months has in the end, as you can probably tell over the last couple of weeks, has caused me to spend some time wondering if I could re-think my gear a bit. Since I'm on hold for a bit I might as well use the opportunity to pretend I'm starting from scratch.

"Pretend?", the process has already begun

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments over the past few months.

I continue to enjoy our conversations, you're a thought provoking fellow. Thanks for putting up with me.

Here's to avoiding rebounds,

Mike

Amen, Brother...

Rich
ice nine photography
Take only photographs, leave only footprints.

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Olympus C-700 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 350D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
NopeNew
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow