D800 and Motion Blur

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Re: D800 and Motion Blur
In reply to FractalMan, Dec 19, 2012

FractalMan wrote:

I have been using a D800 since the first month it came out and all-in-all I am extremely pleased, especially when I use it on a tripod (70-200) for doing panoramas (simply unbelievable).

However, when doing hand-held shooting, I have found that I tend to get motion blur (which I did not get with my 1DsIIand 5DII). In the past I would make sure my shutter speed was faster than the reciprocal of the focal length. That with image stabilization (when available) always resulted in tack-sharp images.

Now with the D800, this rule no longer works. I need a faster speed to avoid the motion blur. I had quite a bit of trouble with my 24-70, so I replaced it with a 24-120 with VR. It is certainly better in this context; yet, I am still finding that I am sometimes I get the motion blur.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have you found another rule-of-thumb that works well?

Let's settle on some terminology first motion blur usually refers to subject movement where VR will not help at all. What I think you are describing is simply camera shake where VR may ( with good technique) help in reducing operator camera/lens movement.

Personally I've had no more difficulties with longer shutter speeds with the D800 than any of my previous 6 or 12 megapixel Nikons. This pic was taken handheld at 1/15  f2.8 at minus 2 degrees C (I might add). Good technique is all important. Bad technique will just be more obvious at 36 megapixels but still be evident whatever the size of sensor

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow