D700 users who have bought D600 - Thoughts and comments?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mac
Mac
Contributing MemberPosts: 828
Like?
Re: D700 users who have bought D600 - Thoughts and comments?
In reply to D Knisely, Dec 19, 2012

D Knisely wrote:

I have not found anything to be missing with the D600, and U1/U2 are perfect for my purposes. In particular, the direct access to settings is better than or equal to the D700 in all regards that matter to me. I prefer the new AF mode switch on the front and the two locking rings function perfectly.

I need to understand this better because I like the way the D300/D700 are set up.  Perhaps I am just used to it, but I like the dedicated contorls and the ease that I can switch between different focus methods.

AF performance is, if anything, a little better than the D700; I doubt you will feel any loss in that regard. In fact, AF accuracy is probably a little better since 24 MPixels is more demanding and my keeper rate is just about as high. The smaller size and weight are a plus for me since I mainly have a chance to shoot while traveling and/or hiking, so every little bit helps. I won't dwell on the positives since they are fairly obvious and well reported.

Nikon's AF accuracy has always been one of its strenths (and flash, too).  What about AF speed with good pro AF-S lenses and legacy D lenses (screw drive).

Here are the drawbacks for my purposes:

1) I miss the eyepiece blind more than anything else. Not only is it a pain to cover, but the D600 allows a LOT of light in that messes up the exposure, not just the metering. I did not foresee this issue.

Funny you should mention this.  The built in eyepiece blind is one of those small features that sets the D700 apart as being truly professional caliber.  No cover to and instantly ready when you need it when doing tripod work.

2) Keep in mind that 24 MPixels is quite demanding on technique and lenses. As it turns out, my (good) travel tripod, technique, and most common travel lenses (esp. the 28-300VR) are a very good match for 12 MPixel resolution. 24 Mpixels will show every flaw.

Yep.  When I bought a D300, I had to "step up" my game.  The D700 was an easier step due to the similarities and same resolution...though you become more selective about the lenses you enjoy using.  Funny, never thought about it much when I use to shoot film but with our ability to view on a computer screen and go to pixel level, every flaw and mistake are visable.

3) The grip is a little less comfortable than the D700/800/etc. Not a showstopper, but noticeable.

I've heard mixed reports.  Both D300 and D700 just fit my hands.  No fatigue after extended periods of carrying.

4) The AE-L button (used for AF-ON), which I use all the time, is a little too far to the left. Better than D7000, but not as good as D700/800/etc.

....I would not buy a D600 (or D800(E)) if my D700 were still alive.

Are you saying that now after using the D600?  Or, from the standpoint that the D700 met your needs and no need for a change (other than your interest in an ILC)?

Doug

Thank you alot.  Very insightful and useful information.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow