Who here uses a monopod?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chuck Schilling
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
They are excellent for video
In reply to tamasine, Dec 19, 2012

I shoot video of a lot of bands in smaller venues where there may not be room for my full tripod setup or where I may not be permitted to bring it inside.  It's simply not possible nor practical to shoot hours of video handheld, particularly if you're having to use longish lenses (I usually shoot with a 70-200mm f2.8).  Monopods make it possible to do so (though of course will never be as convenient or stable as a decent or better tripod.  And, with a monopod, you can stack devices under your camera (I have a couple DIY brackets I use to mount a Zoom H4N and MixPre-D under the camera, and a mike spreader I use to attach twin mikes atop the hot shoe mount).  That would simply be impossible to manage handheld, and I've yet to see any of the shoulder mount rigs that would let me reasonably comfortably shoot video continuously for more than, say, thirty minutes.

Chuck Schilling's gear list:Chuck Schilling's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow