Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vittorio Fracassi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,348Gear list
Like?
Elena and the 75/1.8
Dec 19, 2012

about time to try this lens, and who better than my favourite model Elena?

I had a few errands to run in Torino so around noon I waited for her to come out of the University and grabbed a few captures near the river Po (light a bit harsh) and one in the restaurant "il Porto di Savona" also in Piazza Vittorio,with old fashioned tungsten lamps:

+++

+++

+++

This lens is sharp (too sharp for portraits?), luckily I backfocusssed a little on the first two , naturally if one wants to nail the point of focus it's probably better to fine focus manually.

It's the nearest one can get to FF in low DOF behaviour with a M4/3 lens, bokeh is fine, the focal length is just a little long, one has to move and move away from the subject and there's not always enough room.

The AF reaction to refocussing of this combo is so fast in S-AF/single frame shooting mode that I did not miss the efficient continuous target tracking (AIservo) + bursts of my Canon (ex, mostly sold) gear.

I don't know how to use "face recognition" (and anyway I don't want my camera to do too many things for me at the beginning) so for the moment I just focussed with the smallest focussing frame and recomposed. Nor have I tried the "sequential L" mode, but I will have to test it.

Not extraordinary pictures just a little more technical than snaps, but enough to believe that given the right situation and light, and some training to squeeze the best out of the equipment, one can do outdoor and studio portraits, fashion and the likes to very near pro-level with the E-M5 + 75/1.8,

Cheers, Vittorio

Vittorio Fracassi's gear list:Vittorio Fracassi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow