Anyone returning their RX-1?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,525Gear list
Like?
Re: 'Wow?", not so much..
In reply to harry cannoli, Dec 19, 2012

harry cannoli wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out their with their RX-1's looking back at them from the coffee table, saying to themselves "Did I do the right thing?"

It's like the anticipation of an intimate relationship. You want it, you think of nothing else. You dream about the moment. That's the absolutely best part of any intimate relationship; the longing, the anticipation, the desire. Then the moment comes. Then the moment passes. Infatuation fades, that's when you start to think. You think without the filter of desire that's been over your eyes. Things start looking differently. "What did I do?", "OMG, she has a big *something* right at the tip of her nose."

Then again, you may really be in love.

I was never in love with the RX1 because I love the articulating and touch LCD screen of my 5N and I knew the RX1 didn't have one. I tried using my 5N without moving the LCD and not touching the screen and I did encounter times when that annoyed me, but I figured I could overcome it. The 5N doesn't have the external controls that I wanted so it annoys me as well (it's all a compromise). So I knew the RX1 was going to have wow me in image quality. It has done that, sure. But I am not convinced that I need the improvements that it provides over the Zeiss 24 and a better camera than the 5N (e.g., one with external controls perhaps). I go back and forth on what to do . . . and back and forth again. I've written about my back and forth twists and turns from seriously considering an A99 (articulating screen) or a D600 (cheap by comparison) or even a 5D3 (I can get my dream 50/1.2 lens) to seriously deciding to stick with the RX1 (my favorite and most used focal length). But the wheels always seem to be spinning in my mind. Part of me just wants to draw back and wait for the successor to the NEX 7 and see how they improve it. If I did that then I wouldn't sell my Zeiss 24, so the lack of that sale makes the NEX 7(N?) more expensive, but still about ~$700 cheaper than the RX1. Is the RX1 $700 better than the NEX 7 replacement with the Zeiss 24? I don't know.

I'll decide in the middle of next week right after X-Mas when I have time to really examine the images from the RX1 directly against the 5N and Zeiss 24. Maybe the RX1 will just wow me too much to give it up? Time will tell.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
NopeNew
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow