Veteran MemberPosts: 3,334Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Patsy Murphy, Dec 19, 2012

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Toermalijn wrote:

Patsy Murphy wrote:

MrPhotoBob wrote:

Santa is thinking about bringing me a new Desktop for Christmas and after looking at a sneak peak of what Office Depot is showing on sale next week, I think that he is going to try and slide one down my chimney Christmas Eve. I am looking at the following:

• Model p7-1451
• Includes USB keyboard and optical mouse
• Microsoft Windows 8
• 2TB hard drive
• 10GB memoryI have not even looked at Windows 8, so I am looking for help from here as to how Windows 8 is working with software like Photoshop CS5, Lightroom 4.3 and other photo editing software. Anyone having any problems with Windows 8 and maybe wishing that they may not have ever seen the word Windows 8? Just wondering how others are doing with the idea of upgrading their equipment.
Thanks in advance, Bob.....

I'm in the minority here when it comes to Win 8. Personally I love it , I have been using it about 3 months now and so far I have only encountered one hiccup in Win 8 and that was Windows Mail, apparently if you have a POP3 Mail Server Windows Mail wont accept it, to get around that problem I deleted Win Mail and downloaded Windows Live Mail and that solved the problem. Photoshop,Lightroom,etc all run perfect for me. On my other Computer I have Win 7 and the same on my Laptop so I have been comparing them over the last few months, the main differances I have found is Win 8 is slightly faster,Memory usage and Memory Management is far better than other operating systems and its very noticable when you use Photoshop. Defender in Win 8 is a huge plus it now has Anti-Virus and Maleware built in and works a charm.One thing you should know there is no Safe Mode in Win 8 it has been discontinued. I realize Win 8 is not everyone's cup of tea, the main reason seem's to be the Start Menu or lack of one,personally it did'nt bother me,but it did my daughter so I downloaded Metro UI Tweaker which will give you the Classic Win 7 Start up Menu, so now she has the best of both worlds. One final thing members should remember is Win 8 is not a complete operating system, having said that is does all I require. I am going to put my head on the chopping block now and make a prediction, in a year's time Win 7 will go the same way as Win XP DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOPE. But then again that's just my opinion.

Regards Patsym

I really like windows 8 as well, patsy, so you're not alone.

I had to tweak it a bit to my liking but it is very stable and fast.

Metro is a bonus, when i want to use it...They shouldn't have made it obligatory. They should have made it an option on desktops to install, but it is nice to have in the arsenal when i want to use it.

Windows 8 is much more then just metro, under the hood there are a lot of improvements, not just 10 percent.

Like vista, windows 8 is probably a transition operating system. BUT way much better then vista ever was and more stable,yes also better then windows 7.

Thank god for that Toermalijn I was beginning to think I was the only one that liked Win 8, something new I found out yesterday, I called in to one of the top PC STORES in my local area and one thing I noticed was every PC and Laptop came with Win 8 installed, but what stood out most was almost every one was buying the Samsung brand, out of curiosity I asked a staff member why that was thinking there was a special discount on them, but no he said it was because Samsung computers included the old start menu as well as the Metro, so you have a choice, so who knows maybe Microsoft will follow suit. Merry Xmas to you and your Family and a very Happy New Year.

Regards Patsym

I'm also with you, Patsy.  I've used my Samsung ATIV 700T full Windows 8 tablet for the past 6 weeks and really like Windows 8 and much prefer it over Windows 7 now.  Even though I have a Samsung computer, I've found that I prefer the Windows 8 Start over the old Windows 7 Start Samsung includes as an option.  For me the new Windows 8 Start just works better.  But as in all things, YMMV.

Gary Coombs's gear list:Gary Coombs's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow