Veteran MemberPosts: 3,562Gear list
Like?
Re: Windows 8
In reply to Patsy Murphy, Dec 19, 2012

Patsy Murphy wrote:

Toermalijn wrote:

Patsy Murphy wrote:

MrPhotoBob wrote:

Santa is thinking about bringing me a new Desktop for Christmas and after looking at a sneak peak of what Office Depot is showing on sale next week, I think that he is going to try and slide one down my chimney Christmas Eve. I am looking at the following:

I'm in the minority here when it comes to Win 8. Personally I love it , I have been using it about 3 months now and so far I have only encountered one hiccup in Win 8 and that was Windows Mail, apparently if you have a POP3 Mail Server Windows Mail wont accept it, to get around that problem I deleted Win Mail and downloaded Windows Live Mail and that solved the problem. Photoshop,Lightroom,etc all run perfect for me. On my other Computer I have Win 7 and the same on my Laptop so I have been comparing them over the last few months, the main differances I have found is Win 8 is slightly faster,Memory usage and Memory Management is far better than other operating systems and its very noticable when you use Photoshop. Defender in Win 8 is a huge plus it now has Anti-Virus and Maleware built in and works a charm.One thing you should know there is no Safe Mode in Win 8 it has been discontinued. I realize Win 8 is not everyone's cup of tea, the main reason seem's to be the Start Menu or lack of one,personally it did'nt bother me,but it did my daughter so I downloaded Metro UI Tweaker which will give you the Classic Win 7 Start up Menu, so now she has the best of both worlds. One final thing members should remember is Win 8 is not a complete operating system, having said that is does all I require. I am going to put my head on the chopping block now and make a prediction, in a year's time Win 7 will go the same way as Win XP DOWN THE SLIPPERY SLOPE. But then again that's just my opinion.

Regards Patsym

I really like windows 8 as well, patsy, so you're not alone.

I had to tweak it a bit to my liking but it is very stable and fast.

Metro is a bonus, when i want to use it...They shouldn't have made it obligatory. They should have made it an option on desktops to install, but it is nice to have in the arsenal when i want to use it.

Windows 8 is much more then just metro, under the hood there are a lot of improvements, not just 10 percent.

Like vista, windows 8 is probably a transition operating system. BUT way much better then vista ever was and more stable,yes also better then windows 7.

Thank god for that Toermalijn I was beginning to think I was the only one that liked Win 8, something new I found out yesterday, I called in to one of the top PC STORES in my local area and one thing I noticed was every PC and Laptop came with Win 8 installed, but what stood out most was almost every one was buying the Samsung brand, out of curiosity I asked a staff member why that was thinking there was a special discount on them, but no he said it was because Samsung computers included the old start menu as well as the Metro, so you have a choice, so who knows maybe Microsoft will follow suit. Merry Xmas to you and your Family and a very Happy New Year.

Regards Patsym

I'm also with you, Patsy.  I've used my Samsung ATIV 700T full Windows 8 tablet for the past 6 weeks and really like Windows 8 and much prefer it over Windows 7 now.  Even though I have a Samsung computer, I've found that I prefer the Windows 8 Start over the old Windows 7 Start Samsung includes as an option.  For me the new Windows 8 Start just works better.  But as in all things, YMMV.

Gary Coombs's gear list:Gary Coombs's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow