ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jkf11610
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
US High School Rugby in the rain
Dec 19, 2012

Hi All:

I was able to borrow a 5DIII from my employer for rugby last friday. I was astounded at what it could do under poor high school lighting, in the rain, using a 70-300L (4.5-5.6) and covered with a makeshift (but effective) rain shield. I shot at a lower shutterspeed than I usually like (1/400) but even at ISO 6400 I was really happy with the results.  A few examples below. I had been using a 70-200 2.8L I (IS), but the extra reach of the 300 combined with the great high ISO performance of the DIII made me try this combo as an alternative. I don't think I will be switching back. I love my own 7D but there's no way its high ISO noise matches this...I rarely go above ISO 4000 with it.

What I need to work on now is PP. I take so many pics (from having three boys in sports) that I don't have time for a lot of PP and just use iPhoto to improve the blacks (I'd rather have a rich black than noise) and boost exposure a bit (I shoot in RAW). For special photos of my own kids I'd like to do more...but am not ready for the learning curve of Lightroom or Aperture.

Comments and criticisms welcome (with some trepidation). The quality of these pics (to whatever extent it is there) is a tribute to the equipment, not the operator!

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow