Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,346Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone returning their RX-1?
In reply to sean lancaster, Dec 19, 2012

sean lancaster wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

Hello,

Wouldn't your NEX5N or DLSR kits be more versatile for your professional paid assignments because of interchangeable lenses whereas the RX1 would be limited because it's a fixed lens camera?

Or do you tend to carry more than one camera with you? So carrying a combo of either NEX5N, DSLR, and/or the RX1 would seem to cover all your bases.

I don't do professional assignments; just a hobby I have done every day since 2010. But I do plan to keep my 5N and I'll probably have the SEL 50/1.8 or a fisheye lens attached and then have the RX1 with me as well. When I need to go lighter then I can just take one or the other depending on my needs. And when I have no restrictions then I'll carry a larger backpack with both cameras and 3 or 4 lenses for the NEX-5N.

tesilab, when the light is lower, I like to maximize the lower ISO I can with each camera so that means opening them both up. But I have taken some shots where I try and match the aperture (e.g., f/4 on the 5N and f/5.6 on the RX1). I am not promising to have a nice scientific test, but I am trying to make a test for how I use my cameras and that typically has involved trying to keep the ISO as low as I can (at the expense of extra depth of field and/or shutter speed when I can keep it steady - perhaps down to 1/30). I also like bokeh so I probably do more shots trying to get subject separation than another person. I'll try some shots as you suggest, though.

Thanks.

You have a great combo of camera kits.

Looking forward to further evaluation from you on your  RX1 vs. 5N.

Regarsd.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
NopeNew
Yep.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow