FZ200 - Got my previous unit back from the Panasonic repair shop today (what I learned)

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RudyPohl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,959
Like?
FZ200 - Got my previous unit back from the Panasonic repair shop today (what I learned)
Dec 19, 2012

Hi Folks:

For those FZ200 owners who are interested in such things, just to let you that after 5 weeks in the repair shop at Panasonic Canada I finally got my fixed FZ200 back today.

The problem which I was having, as some of you may recall, was that in cold weather the zoom capability of the lens simply quit and the lens "died" as it were and returned on its own to the wide angle position. It did this over and over. Under warranty it went back to Panasonic, and today upon its return, I learned that they replaced the entire lens and lens assembly - apparently they never specify to the dealer or to the customer the exact nature of the problem, they just fix it and tell you what they did.

I was given a new FZ200 as a loaner in the meantime (as part of my extended warranty coverage) and this one has functioned superbly for thousands of shots even in -15 degree Celsius weather for 2 hours. I elected to keep this loaner and let the dealer keep my old one and use it as one of his demos.

THE LESSON RUDY LEARNED - don't be an early adopter...
I, like some others on this forum, have decided that in future I will wait at least 3-4 months before buying a new model camera again. I was one of the first to buy an FZ200 and I swear I had to deal with almost every early-release glitch and problem there was with this camera. I still love it and and am loving it more each week, honestly it's an awesome camera, but holy cow what a hassle it's been. Next time, I'll sit back till the gremlins have been discovered and vanquished before I saddle up and come on board.

Cheers, (still happy and still shooting )

Rudy

-- hide signature --

The FZ200 - One step closer to bridging the gap.
Flickr photo gallery

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow