Just got the G3, dissappointed with indoor performance, change in settings?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
WhiteBeard
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
Re: Just got the G3, dissappointed with indoor performance, change in settings?
In reply to PhotoCzar, Dec 19, 2012

One of the G3's shortcomings is the disappointing white balance presets with artificial lighting. Fortunately, you have ways to make your own presets, either by adjusting the colour vectors yourself, by choosing a colour temperature or (better) by doing the white balance on a white card. You'll need to consult the G3's manual for these adjustments (RTFM is always good practise). While there is a bit of trial and error involved, you should find a way to optimize the colour balance of indoor shots greatly. Also, don't forget to use either the default "Flash" white balance preset (or, if the flash is used only to fill in, the most appropriate setting for the main sources of light). I have often found myself leaving the WB at Auto WB when popping up the flash, with disastrous results. My old Canon Power Shot did much better in this regard. Lastly, a good rule is to use the Auto ISO setting for shooting indoors; you'll find you don't really need the flash that often...

WhiteBeard's gear list:WhiteBeard's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S2 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow