Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
pbyd
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to Click Click Rizzy, Dec 19, 2012

I do read Ken Rockwell's site before I buy any lens or camera, but I do not always agree with him, that said, this statement that pros don't use mid range zooms, I wonder.  I have been a full time photographer and studio owner for over 40 years, I started in Jan 1970 after I got out of the Marine Corps, and today I still go to the studio 5 to 6 days a week.  If that puts me in the group that some call a Pro photographer then I must say when we went digital in the 90's I started using mid range zoom lenses.  I do own a 50mm f/1.8 lens but never use it, much like most of my other no zoom lenses, the 85mm f/1.4 is the only non zoom in my bag.

I believe anytime someone says always or never they are wrong.  I love the 24-70mm f/2.8 and the 24-85mm f/2.8-4 and use one of them at every event I photograph the old 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 is used for most of my in-studio portrait sessions.

Just saying,

-- hide signature --

Wayne
www.pbyd.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow