Just got the G3, dissappointed with indoor performance, change in settings?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PhotoCzar
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Just got the G3, dissappointed with indoor performance, change in settings?
Dec 19, 2012

After a TON of research, my wife and I decided on purchasing a MFT in lieu of a samll DSLR for the simple virtue of how much more compact the MFT system is. Although, I knew there were some relatively 'minor' drawbacks to MFT's in general, we are in no way pros or seasoned photographers. I simply wanted a quality camera that can take the photos that our pocket size Sony Tx7 & TX100 P&S cams couldn't take very well and of course do some artistic shooting. Our primary concerns were two areas: Shooting people indoors and the telephoto capability with dffererent lenses to do motorsports photography.

Well, we just got the cam and went on a cruise for my grandmother's 97th birthday celebration. My aunt brought her 7 yr old Nikon D80 and we compared the same exact photos of people indoors with both cameras set to Auto mode (I also tried scene mode portrait). Needless to say, the Nikon blew away the G3 by leapes and bounds. The images weren't as crisp/clear, skin tones in the G3 were redish, some of the subjects were dark (within 12 ft or so with the flash on), and the background in the G3 was much darker compared to the dated D80.

Are there any settings in the G3 that can make it perform better indoors? One of my thoughts is getting an external flash, although the bulkiness and addtl expense negates the purpose of the MFT cam. If this is simply the G3's weakness, is there another compact camera system in the $600-700 range that can match a basic SLR for indoor picture quality with the builtin or 'kit' flash?

Thanks!

Jon

Nikon D80 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow