FL-600R with a Better Beamer for birding ?

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
JulesGo
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Re: FL-600R with a Better Beamer for birding ?
In reply to Alan_W1, Dec 19, 2012

Alan_W1 wrote:

Jules, if you are using this BB set-up for bird photography, then bear in mind that "fill flash" tends to be favoured over full flash these days......thereby extending the reach further {or used for decreasing the recycle time, or re-couping the lost power....if using a hs flash setting}.

Using a setting of -2 is usually fairly subtle...as the concentrated beam from the fresnal screen can be quite harsh.

If the flash unit has a zoom option, it would be advisable to test whether this gives any reach advantage over the standard zoom setting, or not!!

I remember seeing some test shots at different zoom settings {on Naturescapes...i think}, where the standard setting gave the most effective reach.

A number of BB users i know {including myself} use small strips of sticky-backed velcro, attatched to the mounting portion of the BB, and the sides of the flash head {along with the elasticated band}. This ensures the alignment remains accurate.....which is essential for long tele use {and also aids securing the bb to varying sized flash heads}.

Thanks for reminding me Alan.  I'm also using a minus setting in High-speed Sync mode with the BB.  This should allow for a little bit more distance.  I'll be ordering a FL-600R - the other opitons are much too big.

-- hide signature --

Jules Gobeil
Nature photographer - Photographe de la nature
www.julesgobeil.com

JulesGo's gear list:JulesGo's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow