D700 users who have bought D600 - Thoughts and comments?

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mac
Mac
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?
D700 users who have bought D600 - Thoughts and comments?
Dec 19, 2012

While reading through the posting "Anyone else wishing/waiting for a D750?" (a thought provoking thread), I read the following from another user:

• "But personally, I owned a D3s for a year, and I just got rid of a D600 after a few months - I prefer my D700 to both of these cameras. If D750 is released tomorrow - I probably would not go for it at all - I would wait with buying a new Nikon until after my D700 functions no more. I love it."

I responded back because it really hit home and my own situation.  Forgive me for reposting a lot of what is contained within that thread but it is pertinent to the discussion I would like to start here.

There are surely D700 users who have bought the D600.  I would like to hear from actual users who have "hands on" experience working with both the D700 and D600.  What are their impressions?  Do they consider the D600 an upgrade?  Are they satisfied overall with the D600?  Do they miss the D700, glad they made the move or wind up keeping both?

A little background, I am not a pro, just someone who has been shooting for over 30 years and has the passion. I purchased a D300 4 years ago and still love the camera. I bought a used D700 earlier this year and love the camera. It is overkill for an "enthusiast" but the D300 has spoiled me. I have become acustomed to the handling and features of a pro or "near pro" level camera. The D700 just took it to another level.

The D800 did not really interest me due to the price and what I perceived to be MP overkill. The D600 has intrigued me from its launch but the fact that it is basically a blown out D7000 body has given me pause.  I never once considered the D7000 as a replacement for my D300.

Well, like many others, the discounts announced last week end were irrestible. Within 1 hour of receiving the announcement on Friday from Nikon in my email, I pulled the trigger and ordered the package deal (body, lens, memory, accessories) from Adorama for $2000. The new D600 should arrive tomorrow afternoon.

When ordering the D600, my thoughts were to post the D700 on either ebay or craigslist but haven't done that, yet. In the meantime, I wouldn't say that I have buyer's remorse but realize letting go of the D700 is not going to be easy. Then reading the comments above reinforced a nagging question I have had from the very beginning about the D600...will I be happy using a D600 or will I become frustrated in the handling of the D600. The additional resolution will be great but concerneded about the handling.

Hoping other D700 users who have now worked with the D600 can offer their insights on the good and bad of each camera.

Thanks!

Mac's gear list:Mac's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +13 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow