Sigma 50mm 1.4?

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Questions thread
CherryO
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?
Re: Sigma 50mm 1.4?
In reply to ncage74, Dec 19, 2012

I have a "new look" Sigma 50mm 1.4 with the smooth exterior. I picked it up used at BH this summer (in person, so that I could try it out while I was visiting NYC). With the D300s this lens is awesome. It's sharp sharp sharp, with lovely bokeh.  The focus is fast and extremely accurate... and consistent.

Now, on my D7000 the story is a bit different. The focus is incredibly inconsistent with this body and seems to depend on colour/level of light and maybe even temperature.  The first time I discovered this was on an engagement shoot when I could not get the subjects in focus, independent of focus point.  Again on two other shoots I had the same problem. The first time it was cold out, the other times it was a dark room.  In each case I ended up using contrast AF with live view.

Is the lens worth it? Yes. The IQ is wonderful. It's different enough from my Nikkor glass to give me some variety in a shoot (more contrast, more neutral colours)

Here are a few examples: http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=7321244@N07&q=sigma%2050mm

Owen

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/owencherry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow