Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,343
Like?
While I used the D300s...
In reply to olindacat, Dec 19, 2012

olindacat wrote:

It is heavy but the perfect lens for shooting just about anything. I have the 1.4 50 and think it's a killer lens for selective focusing and bokeh like food or anything where I want to isolate. Edge-to-edge the 50 is a lot sharper, but the versatility of the 24-70 is something akin to the 17-55 on a DX.

...I didn't care about the 17-55 because of the lack of VR and the short focal length range, as well as the weight.

Now that I am using the D800 I don't care about the 24-70 because of the same reasons. The lack of VR is a huge disadvantage, especially in a heavy lens. Without VR I prefer faster and better primes in the shorter range. With the 24-70 I would end up at the upper limit of ISO all, or most of the time.

Of course, that's just my opinion, but that's why I am not using that zoom and that's why in principal and in that short quoted sentence, I agree with KR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow