Windows 7 put system files on network drive, can't access files

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
harrygilbert
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Re: MS - in their daft wisdom (or lack of) .....
In reply to Andreja, Dec 19, 2012

I have given myself (as the only user) administrator rights (i.e. full control) but Win7 still bars me from installing some software unless I formally switch users from myself to administrator.

I have been working with computer systems since 1974, and it seems that Microsoft has produced some of the kludgiest and poorly executed software ever, exceeded in dumbness only by IBM (remember Topview?)

Thanks to all who have responded and offered suggestions. A friend (who is a Computer Science graduate and works in IT) stopped by and told me that Win7 install WILL mess with files on any connected drive. He says knowledgeable IT people disconnect all other boot drives and network connections when doing a Win7 install because of this reason.

But I also discovered that by mapping the drives, the phantom files magically disappear.

harrygilbert's gear list:harrygilbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow