Started Dec 18, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GregF1970
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Macro DIY: Adorama Step-Down Adapter Ring 62mm Lens to 52mm Filter Size
Dec 18, 2012

I am budget minded guy and would like to get into macro photography.  Affording a lens for just this purpose wont work for me.  Through some research I found many folks using the DIY trick of getting two lenses and putting them together.

Most DIY folks discuss using a general zoom lens and the 50mm f1/8 prime (inverted) in their process.   Some discuss using just an inverted 50mm lens (inverted to camera body) and some discuss using  a combination of lenses (again, inverting the 50mm). Some use tape to connect the lenses and some use a step down ring (or if just using inverted 50mm only, handholding it to the body).

I do not want to use tape, so I found a step down right that might work, but I am confused on the description.

I know this is not a perfect scenario for macro photography, and is for not without its difficulties, but for the price of an adapter ring, it's worth a try to me.

Amazon Description;

Allows you to use smaller size filters on lenses with a larger diameter thread. The first number is the size that screws into the lens, the second number is the filter size. Step " Down" Rings May Cause Vignetting.

Plus one of the ring reviewers also made a comment that is confusing.

Reviewer comment;

This adapter has 52mm female threads and 62mm male threads. Some adapters have the opposite, so be sure that you are getting what you want. It is very well made

The lenses I will be using;

Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC HSM (62mm circumference)

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8(52mm circumference)

Will this step down ring work for my purposes?

-- hide signature --
 GregF1970's gear list:GregF1970's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Sigma 18-125mm F3.8-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow