Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
mrwilkins
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to Click Click Rizzy, Dec 18, 2012

I don't usually agree with most of what Ken Rockwell says, but in this instance he's making a reasonable argument:  instead of getting a wide-angle, midrange, and telephoto zoom, save some money and go for a fast 50 because you're going to want that anyway.

That's not to say that the 24-70/2.8 isn't a great lens (it is) but just that having strict coverage of every possible focal length isn't a requirement for photographers who are comfortable with choosing focal lengths to suit their subject and conditions.

24-70 is a pretty good range.  You'll probably also want a 50/1.4 also for low-light, unless you never take indoor shots without flash.  The two extra stops will be a lifesaver.

This was within a stop of what I could reasonably achieve handheld with my D800 and a 50/1.4.  It would be possible to get a similar picture with the 24-70 but it would require a higher ISO and probably be more noisy as a result.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_wilkins/8283900291/in/photostream/lightbox/

So yeah, no shame in using the 24-70/2.8, but I would consider getting a 50/1.4 as well, and if that's starting to get too expensive, consider returning the 24-70/2.8 and looking at a wide-angle prime lens like a 24 or a 35.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow