ETTR: Is it still a thing for you?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
stuntmonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,622
Like?
Re: Nope
In reply to Steve Bingham, Dec 18, 2012

Steve Bingham wrote:

If I know I am likely to blow highlights or color channels, I simply expose for them. You should realize this before you shoot. Clouds can blow if part of the landscape - so drop a 1/2 stop or more. (under expose)

California poppies, red roses, etc are all inclined to blow the red channel. If detail is important in this red channel, simply under expose a stop or two. Done. Better yet, bracket 0, -1, -2 and fire a three shot burst.

This was what I was alluding to about people and event shooting, there are so many other variables that take precedent that it hasn't occurred to me to factor in ETTR for events, and because the cameras are so good now (at least the D7000), I don't really find myself missing it afterwards

However, going back to Sandy McGuffog's blog (and point of view), I'm falling into the camp that base ISO is probably the best time for ETTR... and even if it's singular indication, it's an indication that encompasses a lot of shooting.

Say instead that you are indoors around ISO 800 for the traditional exposure... you're probably at 800 because that's all that the light will give you.  If you open up the aperture, you might give up more depth of field than you want, and if you go up the ISO scale, dynamic range starts being an issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
BothNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow