Is EPL5 as good as OMD5 in terms of IQ?

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,312Gear list
Like?
Re: Is EPL5 as good as OMD5 in terms of IQ?
In reply to gamarala, Dec 18, 2012

The gap is widest at the lowest ISO! The DR in the first 100-400 is 2 stops better than G#. Yes, you will note it easily oion any day with good sunlight and some clouds in it. EPL5 has clearly better IQ than G3. Now, is that worth double the price? I doubt it. I'd rather buy a good lens like the 20mm or 45mm 1.8 for it than have an EPL5 with that kitlens. EPL5 is new also, so the price wil drop considerably. Also note that EPL5 has no EVF. In bright conditions I find the screen not good enough so I have added the simple VF3 which sets you back another 100-130 dollar.

IQ is better, EPL5 has better AF tracking (sports) and has IBIS too. Manual controls are somewhat worse than G3 though. Ergonomics are also somewhat worse. 8 fps is nice on the other hand and the image quality and colours are fantastic! in RAW, in JPG that gap widens quite a bit so that is also a factor if you use JPGs.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow