Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,335
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to Click Click Rizzy, Dec 18, 2012

Click Click Rizzy wrote:

Ken Rockwell:

Get over buying a midrange zoom today. This isn't as bad as you think. Few, if any, pros use mid-range zooms. Most use a wide zoom and a tele zoom, and maybe drop a 50mm in their pocket for low light.

I don't think he knows enough number of pros to be able to say that.

Even at f/2.8, the $1,700 24-70mm AFS is nowhere near as good in low light as the $120 50mm f/1.8D. Try it and see.

This is true, and is really elementary. That 24-70/2.8 may be the wholly lens for many, but because it lacks VR you will still quickly hit the limits of it, force to push ISO higher than you want, so a faster prime will always win, not only in terms of IQ but also in the ability to use it in low light, assuming that you have the primes. For the price of the 24-70, one can buy a slower zoom and several good primes, or just buy primes if one does not need a zoom in that range. But... a zoom is a zoom and a prime is a prime. Comparing the two is not always possible. No matter what KR thinks, if he has a 50 on his camera and he needs something else which he does not have he will not take the image.

I never use a midrange zoom. For almost all my walking around and family photos, I use the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S. The fast f/stop lets me stop action in any sort of darkness, all with clean, creamy and sharp images at the high ISOs so easy for Nikon's FX cameras.

OK, so that's his opinion. He is entitled to that opinion, and of course a 50/1.4 is better and faster than any zoom, but a 50 is still a 50, and zooming with the feet is not always working.

EDIT by Moderator...

Please refrain from posting more than 1 link to an external site unless completely necessary - in this case 1 is sufficient but 6 could be considered spam...

Uhm... Welcome to new, moderated DPR Click Click Rizzy. You are new to this forum and I wish you all the luck, hopefully you will like it here. I see the Mod already gave you a warm welcomed hug.

BTW, beware of mentioning KR, he is not a popular guy around here. Beat me why, since he is more of a Nikon fan and considerably more knowledgeable and fun to read than many of the trolls allowed existing on this forum.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow