Question about 5D III's HDR mode auto ISO behaviour in comparison with bracketing.

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 970
Like?
Question about 5D III's HDR mode auto ISO behaviour in comparison with bracketing.
Dec 18, 2012

Hi,

I've noticed a difference in behaviour when using HDR or bracketing on the 5DIII when used with auto ISO and I'd like to know if there is a way to make the HDR mode works like the bracketing mode in that regard.

Here it is :

When ISO is set to auto, and let's say, for example, with a minimum shutter speed of 1/60th second, in HDR mode the camera will pick the lowest ISO it can use for the overexposed shot, and use it for all the others. The result is that both the underexposed and normally exposed shots are shot with a higher shutter speed than necessary, adding noise in the process.

If I use the regular bracketing option, the camera will adjust ISO for each shot so that the shutter speed stays as close as possible to the minimum shutter speed set in auto ISO, which optimises noise performance.

Now, I really like to use the HDR mode instead of bracketing, for three reasons : 1) even if set in silent mode, it will fire at 6 fps, lessening the chance of blurring the subject, 2) it automatically calculates the necessary bracketing, and 3) even if I don't use it, the final jpeg helps to know if the three shots are properly aligned.

But unfortunately, because I can't find a way to curb its auto ISO behaviour to work like the regular bracketing mode, I limit it to well-lit scenes.

Am I right to say that there currently is no way to change this behaviour ?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow