6D lens setup dilemma

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,095
Like?
Re: 6D lens setup dilemma
In reply to Picturenaut, Dec 18, 2012

Picturenaut wrote:

The EF 85mm f1.8 USM acuallly has smoother bokeh... the smoothest of the AF 85mm's as far as I have seen. The EF 85mm f1.2 L USM II obviously can blur more, but does not get as smooth.

The Samyang 85mm f1.4 has crazy smooth bokeh.

Well, bokeh is always a matter of taste and I know this endless discussion that the EF 85/1.8 is better than the EF 85/1.2, so let's stop that, it doesn't help "ext layer".

It was just a correction on what you proposed about the bokeh, nothing more. We both agree that the 85mm f1.8 is an excellent lens to look at, and that the 85mm f1.2 has its very own good qualities and attractions too.

The Samyang doesn't fit ext layer's budget, too, as I understand. But I'd never recommend that lens for a modern DSLR. It provides decent optics and mechanics, but is manual focus only! I still use MF lenses (Zeiss) but only wide angle & stopped down so super exact focusing is not that critical to get good results. Modern DSLR's viewfinders do not assist quick MF anymore (no split screen). Now if you use a fast 85 mm tele with a very shallow depth-of-field wide open you will really struggle with MF to get even one really sharp hit in 10 shots if your subject or yourself are only slightly moving - at least if your standard is high (e.g. sharpness spot-on in the eye(s) of a portrait). With my AF 85/1.2 + 5D3 I get about 80 % sharp hits even in a lively party. It still works in situations when MF with such a fast lens would certainly fail. (Things are of course a bit different with a Leica rangefinder and perhaps few oft the better EVIL system cameras, but that's not the issue here.)

I did not propose that the Samyang was a lens to consider for the OP (or you), jut pointed out that it is probably the smoothest bokeh 85mm lens for Canon.

So, ext layer, finally, the EF 85/1.8 is a real go for you. Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Picturenaut

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow