Shooting video of skiing holiday - new K5 II???

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
kikivrany
Senior MemberPosts: 2,800
Like?
Re: Shooting video of skiing holiday - new K5 II???
In reply to birdseed007, Dec 18, 2012

birdseed007 wrote:

Guys,

Many many thanks for your very intelligent and informed replies - although reading them was a disappointment!! To tell the truth I haven't been overly impressed with my Panasonic Lumix TZ3 - the picture quality in terms of grain and colour balance is frankly shocking - worse by far than my wife's old Fuji Finepix 6900 which was only a 3megapixel camera and bought in 2002!! In addition it has developed an irritating sticking lens cover mechanism and the battery lasts no time at all and is of a proprietary design requiring me to cart their dedicated charger around with me because it won't accept anything standard (the Ist DS by contrast will run quite happily on anybody's AA's available from any shop in the land). I think I'd rather eat my own shoes than ever buy another Lumix!! I can only assume that Panasonic must have come a long way with stills photography from what some of you have said but I would still be very dubious whether the Lumix would equal my Ist DS for stills. I suppose I was hoping that with the K5 I would have something way better than the DS for stills and something pretty good for video. (I should add that all the video cameras I have ever owned have been Panasonic so I have agreat faith in their ability to do that well)

The Olympus is a more enticing proposition, I have a very deep respect for their cameras - the old OM4 was an object of desire and the OM1 was of course just an icon... I will certainly have a look at the OM-D. I would of course be then changing my whole system though and that being the case why not just switch to Canon or even Nikon who do apparently make SLR's that are fairly good at video?? Or perhaps more radically why not a Pentax K01 and keep my existing system?

I'm beginning to suspect that sadly now might not be the right time to jump. I'm fairly sure that convergence between stills and video will come eventually the same way that convergence between Mp3 players and phones has happened. Nobody wants to take 2x cameras on holiday anymore, even people like me who care about quality. The sad thing is that Pentax haven't yet stolen a march on the competition by delivering a DSLR that can do both brilliantly. maybe I don't understand enough about the technology challenges but why haven't they been able to do this?? If they did they would be delivering something that the market really wants.

Anyway, I am very grateful to you all so far for your input. Now all I have to do is resist the temptation to buy a K5 mk 1 at the incredible prices they are being offered at as an interim option!!

Birdseed

Hello Birdseed

...Nobody wants to take 2x cameras on holiday anymore, even people like me who care about quality....

Now when you use a DSLR and have more than one lens with you, then it realy doesn't matter... I mean a camcorder like (for example the small one I use) is as big as the Pentax kit-lens. So it doesn't matter if there is an other lens or a camcorder in my bag.

I also don't belive that...'I'm fairly sure that convergence between stills and video will come eventually the same way that convergence between Mp3 players and phones has happene'

Stills and video need often other characteristics:

- for stills you want a fast AF / for video you want often a slower change of the focus point

- for stills you want a SR which to keep the frame and that the SR can quickly react to keep a new frame-situation/ for video you want that the SR give it up to keep the frame without jumping when you pan.

All in all we have a nice situation now: we have the choice using small sensor video cams where it's easy to have a big DOF look, and our DSLR's with the big sensors to get easy the smalll DOF look

... but I think you can't have both on a easy way in one body

best regards kikivrany

-- hide signature --

carpe noctem

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow