Well it finally happened to me!!!!

Started Oct 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
mark dimo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Re: Possible (temporary) fix
In reply to nikola123, Dec 18, 2012

There is a possible (but temporary, at least on my copy of 50-135 mm lens) fix - maybe someone else mentioned it, but don't have time go through all the posts. Steps are:

1. Leave both the lens and camera in AF mode
  2. Rotate the focus ring on the lens from one end to the other a few times (3, 5... 10, 15... it depends) and try to press AF on camera after the rotations
  3. Go back to step 2. if necessary

It usually works for me.

Of all my DA*'s the DA* 200 belongs to the oldest batches of DA*'s in my arsenal.  Both my DA* 16-50 and 50-135 had to be repaired and have since then worked without problems. With the Da* 200 being part of the oldest batch, its the only one that has that "sleepy" behavior.

If I haven't used it for quite some time it acts really sluggish initially, then eventually peps up and returns to factory specs.  There have been some "dead on arrival" days,  of which I had to revive by practicing the above quoted trick.

My DA* 300 and DA* 60-250 belong to the most recent batch so they thankfully never exhibit the hiccups (perhaps being the most updated modification of the SDM system)

There are days where I shriek in fear that the SDM of any of my DA*'s may be DOA, so to avoid this I developed the habit of manually turning the focus rings of my DA* back and forth before and just after powering up.

So far, all has been good, but I keep my fingers crossed.

-- hide signature --

Senior Photographer for Aloha Boardsports, Billabong Philippines, RVCA, Matix, & DVS
Photographer / Features Writer for Lonely Planet Magazine, Digital Photographer & Mabuhay Magazine
Life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!
http://i.pbase.com/o4/04/415004/1/55805151.sig.jpg

mark dimo's gear list:mark dimo's gear list
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow