Perceptual MPix score by DxOMark/DPreview ?

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,184Gear list
Like?
Perceptual MPix score by DxOMark/DPreview ?
Dec 18, 2012

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/12/17/dxomark-introduces-perceptual-mpix-score-for-lenses

I see no comments here, but isn't this more relevant for higher resolution sensor like in the Nex-7.

And what about FF sensors - the 24Mp, 36Mp, 48Mp question?

I vote for a 24Mp sensor FF Nex - higher ISO, no vignetting, magenta cast, more lens choices ...

This quote draws my attention:

• An average of 45% of all megapixels lost
  • The Perceptual Megapixel measurement allows for making numerous comparisons among cameras and for the first time quantifies the impact of lens sharpness on camera resolution. Thus the perceived resolution for a camera can be significantly different from the native resolution depending on the lenses with which it is coupled.
  • For example, when coupled with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera with a 21.1 Mpix sensor, a Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM lens has a Perceptual Mpix score of 17.2, whereas a lens such as the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/1.4 ZE has a Perceptual Mpix score of 15.2.

This has been brought up with the Nex-7 sensor numerous times, in numerous reviews. Less so in FF and DSLR types of application, but I can see the same discussion starting there as well.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow