Image Resizing - 72 ppi to 300 with a batch of files?

Started Dec 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
7DJoe
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Re: Image Resizing - 72 ppi to 300 with a batch of files?
In reply to dgrogers, Dec 18, 2012

Ok Mr. Rogers:  I know that monitors and anything related to a computing devices (iphone, ipad, laptop, etc.) default to 72 ppi (or somewhere around there) and so changing the ppi to a higher number will not make a difference for email, facebook or anytype of computer viewing.

However, I believe printers are capable of much higher resolution, hence when doing professional prints with labs who use higher quality printers, changing the ppi would result in less of the "lego effect" as I look to print 10x12, 11x16 or fairly large size prints.

Sorry for my "lack of knowledge" but I hope you don't mind continuing to enlighten me on this subject. Again, I really thought the whole point behind increasing the ppi was for "printing", especially for clients who wish to enlarge their prints and don't mind the expense of a decent lab.

So, if I'm sending out to a lab, changing the ppi to somewhere in the 240-300 range seems to be right where my clients want to print and the quality should be better than the standard output of my camera at 72 ppi ....... right?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow