Installing OS on SSD from HDD

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,964
Like?
Use USB 2.0 ports for the card reader...
In reply to jamesdak, Dec 18, 2012

Is it not seeing it when you get ready to create the recovery media, or is it not seeing it when you're trying to boot into it?

You may need to use USB 2.0 versus 3.0 ports in order to boot from a USB attached card reader, depending on how the recovery program was designed.

This is a USB Attached Card reader, not a camera or card slot in a printer, right (as most cameras are not USB Mass Storage Compliant, and many card readers built into printers won't work as USB Mass Storage devices either).

But, if you have a USB attached card reader with a FAT32 formatted 16GB card in it, then I'd expect your system to be able to use it for boot media (although you may need to use a USB 2.0 versus USB 3.0 port for that purpose). IOW, it should behave the same way as a USB Flash Drive.

From a quick glance at the owner's guide, it looks like the two ports on top of the machine are USB 2.0.   It looks like two of the ports on the back are also USB 2.0.  See pages 18 and 19 of the owner's manual for it:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8500_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

I see that mentioned in a user created Wiki about Dell products, too (you need to be using USB 2.0 ports to boot into recovery media created by Dell Data Safe).

But, I can't understand why the DVDs are not working (asking you for a drive that's 1800MB), as the program is not supposed to work that way.

If USB media does the same thing (wants an 1800MB drive for the restore process), then I'm wondering if it may have something to do with EEFI boot settings used by Windows 8 (versus using a traditional MBR instead.

I'd get to the point where you have bootable recovery media first (and you can press F12 when booting to get a boot menu where you should be able to select USB with your boot media plugged in).

Then, see if it lets you install Windows to the SSD using it (making sure the phyiscal hard drive is unplugged).

If it's *still* asking for an 1800MB drive at that point, then I'd suspect that UEFI settings may be causing it, and I'd probably try to disable UEFI in BIOS temporarily and then boot into the recovery media and see if it installs that way to the SSD.   You are sure that Secure Boot is disabled right?  Do you see Legacy Option ROM enabled (it should be)?

I'd see how far you get using the above first.   If it still does the same thing (wants an 1800MB drive to restore to), then we may need to approach it a different way and use a third party program to either backup the existing drive, or move individual partitions to the SSD (after shrinking them on the original drive with Microsoft Disk Management first so they'll fit on a smaller drive).

But, the Data Safe Recovery Program should work, without needing to shrink the original partition sizes before making the recovery media, as I haven't seen anybody else complain about it not working here yet (but, most of them were using Win 7 versus Win 8)

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow