Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?
Re: Auto ISO question on X-E1
In reply to Lawrie Silverberg, Dec 18, 2012

Lawrie Silverberg wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

DR400 requires a min of ISO 800 and DR200 requires a min of ISO 400 to work. The extended DR is to prevent blowing out highlights. The way it does this is by exposing one or two stops under to capture highlight detial, then it compensates in the midtone and shadow by increasing signal via the ISO. This is why it needs that extra stop, ISO200, or two, ISO400, to work. By setting DR to 400 you forced the camera to use the higher ISO. This feature can be extremely useful and is designed exclusively to add highlight detail, so it is not useful if there are no bright areas to extend the Range. It is to pull back highlights.

See below how I needed it to not blow out the lights or the skating rink. These are essentially straight out of the camera at DR400.

If you had set your camera on Auto DR, would it have chosen 400?

One those shots i was using high IsO anyway as they were both handheld, the skating rink shot was at ISO 5000 and shot wide open f/2.8. the other shot was a set at auto ISO but shot at about ISO 1200 so high ISO was the case either way. I think, but an not 100% positive, that auto DR would kick in if the histogram shows blown highlights.  If the histogram is normal and everything is well contained it will not kick in.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow