Installing OS on SSD from HDD

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,964
Like?
I'd use FAT32, make sure you're selecting USB for the boot choice
In reply to jamesdak, Dec 18, 2012

jamesdak wrote:

Well I must be the worlds biggest computer idiot. Nothing I try works. I put in a 16 GB CF card in the reader. It was fat32 so I reformated it to NTFS.

It probably needs to be FAT32 (not NTFS). Or, at least that's the way most USB boot media needs to work.

Then, just let the Dell Data Safe Program copy what it needs to it.

Did you try it with it formatted as FAT32 first (which is the way it should have been to begin with).

Virtually all Live Operating Systems I've used were designed for FAT32 formatted media in order to boot from a USB Flash Drive (or card in a card reader)

So, I doubt the Dell Data Safe program works differently.

If you did format as NTFS, sometimes that will hose up flash media and create a partition table, versus leaving it setup as the way flash media normally defaults the first sector (where no separate partition table is normally used).

So, you may want to go into MS Disk Management, delete any partitions on it, then right click on the unallocated space and use the wizard to format it as FAT32 (which is the way it should have been to begin with). That's the way a 16GB memory card will come formatted (FAT32), and the way a 16GB USB Flash Drive would come formatted (FAT32).

I'd be very surprised if it needs to be anything else for the Data Safe Program to work with it.

Sometimes, you'll see more than one USB choice when booting into a Dell box, too. So, you may need to select a different one.

After you format your card as FAT32 and use it to create Recovery Media from the Dell Data Safe Program, you'll need to make sure you're selecting it as the boot device (either by changing the boot order in your BIOS, or by using the Boot Menu).

Rather than messing with the boot order settings in your BIOS, the easiest way to boot from USB is by pressing F12 when booting up so you'll get a boot menu where you can select the desired boot device (you should see USB in the list with the card reader and card plugged in if it was formatted correctly and you used the Dell Data Safe program to copy needed files to it).

That way, you don't need to go into your BIOS settings and change the boot order list so that USB is higher up in the choices.  Just use F12 when booting instead.

But, the Card will probably need to be formatted as FAT32 to work as recovery media (and I'd remove any NTFS partitions on it first to make sure it doesn't have a hard disk type partition table on it).  Then right click on the unallocated space and use the Wizard built into Microsoft Disk management to format the entire card as FAT32 (the way it probably was to begin with).

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow