Olympus E-PL5 IBIS (& Shutter Shock too?) - Very Poor results for all but 1 condition

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
zapatista
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: beating your head against the IBIS wall
In reply to James Pilcher, Dec 18, 2012

James Pilcher wrote:

I read IBIS posts over and over and over. You people keep spending time and brain cells trying to figure out how to keep this gee-whiz feature from ruining your photos. You should ask yourself why we continue to see these threads years after this technology was introduced. A mature technology will work quietly and unobtrusively. IBIS does not. I've said before and I'll continue to say, IBIS can sometimes make blurry shots sharper, but it does not consistently provide critically sharp images. Beating your head against the IBIS wall will do nothing but give you a headache and result in threads like this one.

IBIS was screwy on my E-620, my E-5, my E-PL3, and now on my E-PL5. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Quit being lazy and use a tripod! I figure I'm getting 20+ stops of image stabilization that neither needs a battery nor instigates threads like this one! My tripod-mounted shots are consistently sharper than anything hand-held, even well into the range of shutter speeds that are considered "safe" for hand-held photography. Additionally, I've never had a hand-held shot turn out sharper than the same one made from a tripod. Finally, using a tripod does not have to slow one down; I still have far too many images to PP even after a day of tripod photography.

In the end, I think anyone who is satisfied with IBIS technology merely has low image quality expectations. I don't purchase good kit expecting mediocre results, so I turn off IBIS.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

Works great on the EM-5.

zapatista's gear list:zapatista's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow