Installing OS on SSD from HDD

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,447
Like?
Re: Still Wont work, jeesh!
In reply to jamesdak, Dec 18, 2012

I'd just shrink the last partition on your hard drive install using Microsoft Disk Management, so that all of your existing partitions fit into 128GB (leaving the rest of the existing hard drive space as unallocated).

Then, you should be able to make a backup and restore it to the SSD using either Microsoft's Built in System Image Backup, or free third party tools like Macrium Reflect.

Then, if you run Microsoft's Windows Experience Index, it should enable trim for you and disable defragment scheduling (it does that when it detects an SSD is being used).

That may be easier than trying to do it with the Dell Data Safe Program. I don't recall anyone reporting your systems with it before. So, perhaps something to do with Windows 8 is causing a problem.

If you don't have a drive you can use for backups, you may want to try the Dell Datasafe Program again (but, not creating new recovery disks until after you've resized the partitions on your hard drive so that everything fits into 128GB or less, leaving the rest of the space on the drive as unallocated).

I didn't think it worked that way though (it's very odd it's wanting a drive that's as large as the original). I don't recall anyone reporting that before. But, if you shrink the last partition on the hard drive before making the recovery disk, that would probably solve that issue if it's trying to recreate new partitions that are the same size as the originals when restoring.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow