Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
eventphotog
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
Re: eventphotog - Why don't you consider whether it would be feasible to simply crop the pictures...
In reply to nikonjohn, Dec 18, 2012

It is my understanding that the crop size of the DX mode on a D600 is in the 10MP range.  Frankly, there are times I wish when shooting the 18-270 on a D7000 that I could go further in both directions.  Sometimes in packed situation (night clubs) you can't get far enough away to shoot small groups with an 18 and other times I am stuck too far away from shots with the 270.    If 18-270 is too limiting on a D7000, shooting the 24-120 on a D600 would be even more restrictive.  I am looking at the 28-300 for the D600, both the Tamron and the Nikon, both of which are not very well rated and based on what I read, they don't seem to be capable of the full width and length as advertised.    The 28-300 will give me something similar to the 18 on the D7000 but the 300 will leave me short of what the 270 can do on the D7000.

Thanks

nikonjohn wrote:

where you need to get more reach. A DX sized crop with your 24-120 lens would give you the equivalent of 36-180 and with 24.3 mp you have a lot of flexibility to crop and still get high resolution shots. Just a thought.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow