Nikon 1 - Value Proposition and Sports Pictures

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 - Value Proposition and Sports Pictures
In reply to pixelesque, Dec 17, 2012

pixelesque wrote:

Yeah, but see you're only doing 1/50s. That's really too slow for sports in general... anything but people just standing around. We really need some long fast primes to make this work... to get faster shutter speeds and better subject isolation. The 32mm f/1.2 coming next year will be great, if you're close enough to the action. Otherwise the FX 50mm and 85mm primes with the FT-1 could work well and still be quite a bit more compact than what an equivalent SLR rig would be. But then we lose continuous focus.. It's SOOO close, just not quite there.

The lack of a viewfinder really makes my J1 unsuitable for sports, but I didn't really buy it for that.  Frankly, I took it to the game just to get a picture of Larry Brown coaching the Mustangs.  In that role, it worked great.

If I were a V1 owner and wanted to get shots of my kid playing BB, I think that the V1 with an appropriate lens might work very well for people who don't want a Big DLSR and a big lens.   I suspect a V1 would easily outperform my old D60 (with kit lens) at a kids basketball game. With a 35 or 50 f/1.8G and a FT1, the V1 would probably perform really good at those indoor presentations that kids are always having.

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow