ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,989Gear list
Like?
DigitalRevTV D600 vs. a99
Dec 17, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SShHCsuI94

Full disclosure: I'm a dual Nikon/Sony owner. I have a D600 and an a580. That said, I haven't tried an a99, but I feel like some of what Kai did doesn't do the a99 justice, and makes the a99 seem far behind in several areas where I expect both cameras to be very close. I'm not bashing either the D600 or a99, so don't take it that way.

Now several comments about the video:

• I don't know if Kai used the a99's focus range limiter or depth map AF when he said that the a99 focused on the background for a lot of the shots where he tried to track a moving biker. The focus range limiter might have taken care of that problem.
  • In low light, he says that while the D600's AF isn't great, the a99 fared a little worse with more hunting. Not sure if I agree with that, based on my experience with the a580 and my new D600 (and turning off all the lights in the room). My a580 locks in extremely low light given a high contrast target, but the D600 doesn't always do that. There are situations where the a580 locks, and the D600 doesn't. Then again, it goes both ways - the D600 is more confident and accurate with low contrast subjects if the room isn't completely dark.
  • When he compared the ISO performance and trashed the a99, it looks like he compared JPGs, where Sony has never been strong (although I do like the color rendering from Sony JPGs). He also didn't line everything up exactly. A raw test would probably show a far less significant difference.
  • The bit about viewfinder blackout is interesting - the D600 has less viewfinder blackout.
  • Agree with his points about video - the a99 is better there.
  • IMO the a99 is better with ergonomics because more key controls can be accessed while holding the camera with one hand, and the tilting screen is better for using the camera in weird positions.
  • He didn't talk about battery life - the D600 would have been the king there.

Anyways, what I'd really love to do is take both the a99 and D600 onto a basketball court with a fast focusing lens (50/1.4 lenses were never known for focusing speed), and see how they compare.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Nikon D600 Sony SLT-A58 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow