Alternatives to Adobe? (Adobe killed what tolerance was left)

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Vaasa
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
Alternatives to Adobe? (Adobe killed what tolerance was left)
Dec 17, 2012

I'm sure it's going to hurt in the short term, but Adobe has finally killed the last of my patience with this stupid Application Manager malware they tricked me into installing.  Yes, I know it's not really malware, but IMO anything that installs itself by trickery and then cannot be uninstalled without breaking existing software is malware.  Over the years I have bought the Creative Suite, LR 2, 2.5, and 3, and elements 8 and 10.  Now, I want to dump everything I own that is Adobe and I'm looking for suggestions (I haven't kept up to date with what is out there).

• I haven't been using the full creative suite in a while, so I'm not worried about that too much.
  • I already replaced Acrobat Reader with Foxit Reader, which was an easy change and actually a better product.
  • For Lightroom, the options mainly seem to be ACDSee and Corel (what used to be Bibble).   
  • Elements is going to be more of a problem, especially in that all of the editing tips provided in magazines like Digital Photography are based around it.  But as far as I can tell, the main options are either GIMP, Paint.NET and Capture One.

Can anyone provide recommendations and their experience?  I have honestly been trying to pull back on the editing as much as possible and working on getting right in camera, and IrfanView has been working fine for when I just want to crop or re-size a JPG before posting to the web.  So I don't think I'm a candidate for power tools at the moment.  I mostly am just looking for a good cataloging tool with decent basic photo editing.

Once again, any feedback and suggestions would be appreciated.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow