Best low-light lens on Panny cameras?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,070Gear list
Like?
Re: 12-35mm f/2.8 for me
In reply to pavel_p, Dec 17, 2012

pavel_p wrote:

My preferred social/low-light combination is a 20mm f/1.7 on a GF2/GX1 body. Compact, lets lots of light in, and good quality. I've gotten good results from the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 as well but the longer focal length is a bit trickier to get acceptably sharp results.

20mm f1.7 works very well for social events. But for stationary object 12-35/f2.8 is far better. It is possible to make sharp photos at time as low as 1/3-1/5s at wide angle and 1/10-1/15s at long end. For 20mm limit is about 1/30s. But sometimes it is more reliable or necessary to focus manually, because AF doesn't work in dim orange light of distant street lamps. I tried 45mm/f1.8 just for few minutes and it requires about twice higher ISO than 20mm/f1.7 due to the focal length and higher blur from subject and camera movement.

I think your comment illustrates the advantages of stabilization (IBIS or OIS).  On my OM-D, I can get sharp photos with the 45/1.8 at 1/3s-1/5s and 1s-1/2s with the 25/1.4.  On my GH2, my results with the 45 are similar to yours.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow