Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pasmia
Contributing MemberPosts: 519Gear list
Like?
In need of general Portrait techniques
Dec 17, 2012

I have a makeshift studio at home and not really trying to upgrade just quite yet.  I have been able to get some nice portraits with what I have but I am far from being consistent.  This leads me to believe that I still have quite a bit more to learn and grow with what I already have.

I think what I'm lacking right now is knowledge of how to pose people as well as how to use light correctly.  So far I've used Rembrandt lighting quite a bit, simply because it was easy to find 'how to' articles.

So what I'm asking is what books should I be looking for that'll cover general poses and lighting diagrams?  I search the internet quite a bit, but only find bits and pieces here and there.  I need something that has it all in one place.

My latest shoot was with my preteen niece.  It's kind of hard to find a decent pose for her because she's too old to be posed as a child (innocent/with toys/playful) and too young to pose an adult (glamour/sexy).  I'm sure she would want some glamour type pictures, but I'm just not sure how to go about it with her age.  She's also very self-conscious about her teeth (they're rather big) so I try my best to stick to 'serious' poses or with just a slight grin.

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow