Fill Flash, Nikons Achiles heel Can anybody advise me please??

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Douglas Boyd
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
Re: Set the flash to Auto mode Re: Fill Flash, Nikons Achiles heel Can anybody advise me please??
In reply to Leif Goodwin, Dec 17, 2012

My apologies to those who felt insulted by my of the word "fan boy".  I consider myself a fan of Nikon equipment, and own and use a ton of it.  I especially love the high-resolution and dynamic range.  However, when there is an obvious problem, I don't bend over backwards to try and justify it.

The problem pointed out by the OP is real, and there are others as well when trying to use AE and also adjust background brightness and fill brightness.

I applaud all of the experts who have contributed to this thread and explained their "work-around" strategies to get fill-light to work.  There are a lot of good suggestions there.

I like my work-around method of using the flash in Auto, because it is a common method that I can use on all my other cameras as well and is independent of what particular flash I happen to be using-- so long as it has an Auto mode.

Some of the other methods described here are worth a try as well, but I will have to print out the many steps of those methods and tape it to the camera in order to be able use these-- after I verify them for each model of Nikon I own.   With the Auto method, one technique works for Hasselblad, Sony, Nikon, and Mamiya as well as the models within each brand.

-- hide signature --

==Doug

Douglas Boyd's gear list:Douglas Boyd's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Ricoh RDC-7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D70s Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +40 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow