Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leif Goodwin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to John Motts, Dec 17, 2012

John Motts wrote:

wasserball wrote:

nirvana0001 wrote:

Each lens has its own purposes, pros use whatever suits their task the best and so should everyone elses. KR is a troll, don't waste your time on his site.

You have no way to back up what you just said. I am certain Ken has much more experience with Nikon cameras and lens than you do. He offered an alternative to using the 24-70mm, a midrange zoom. That's is exactly what I did. I use a AF-S 50mm f1.8G for those situations. The consequences of the 50mm is that I have to move around, but in most situation, that is NOT a problem. Do I want the 24-70mm lens? Of course, I have the money for it, and maybe I will buy one on eBay after the new year.

It's a shame that KR has to spout such deliberately misleading nonsense in order to do to encourage traffic to his site.

Fair enough to suggest that many people save their money and buy a 50mm prime, but to say that "Few, if any, pros use mid-range zooms." is just a bare-faced lie.

That is an interesting point, that he is deliberately lying. I will ask him about this.

I bet if you survey news photographers, and wedding photographers, you'd find few using a 50mm lens, and most using a 24-70mm F2.8 lens some or all of the time.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow