Huge group shot, looking for feedback on ideas.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
The Battery
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Huge group shot, looking for feedback on ideas.
Dec 17, 2012

I'm doing a very large group picture for a family that has a lot of people comming in for the holidays.  It's going to be around 30 people with ages ranging from 8 months to 80 years.
Here's what i'm thinking if the weather holds up and we can do this outside:
Posing: I'm thinking of having 3 rows of 10 people with younger families with small children sitting on ground for row 1.  Row 2 will be older grandparents seated on a bench or in wheelchairs.  Row 3 will be adults and taller people standing and potnetially mothers holding their infants.
Tech: D7000 with Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 at 50mm or so at f/5.6 for clarity, ISO as low as I can get it and shutter to expose.  I'm thinking I'll focus on the people in the front row.  I tried to figure out how far back i'd need to be at 50mm.  If i assume 2 feet for each person, that makes the group 20 feet wide.  At a FoV of 26.56deg, that's about 42ft away.  The DoF would then be about 70'(57' behind my focus point). 
If I went down to 24mm, i'd be 30' away, and my DoF would be infinite...
I'm going to use a tripod and cable release so I can be dancing around or doing whatever it takes to get the small children's attention.  I'll probably take 10 pics or so about a second apart and photoshop heads if necessary.
Now, knock on wood, if the weather dosent hold out I can do it inside at our church which has a ton of space.  For the Lighting i'm thinking of playing it safe and having two shoot-through umbrellas on either side (just out of my FoV) at about 6' high to illuminate everyone, and then maybe one light behind to light the wall but we'll see.
Does that make sense?  Am I missing somthing? Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?
Thanks in advance.

The Battery's gear list:The Battery's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow