Does the Leica M(240) Address Your Needs (vs M9)?

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Artichoke
Forum ProPosts: 11,759Gear list
Like?
the M typ240 still unknown
In reply to jffielde, Dec 17, 2012

jffielde wrote:

snip

The only imperfection that makes the M9 an "incomplete" camera for my use is the mid-to-high ISO performance. The M9 is a little better than film, but not much. This means for me that the M9 bows out of indoor shots (and outdoor as the light falls) where the Canons and Nikons can keep shooting long afterwards.

snip

How about you?

likely it will be a remarkable tool and I hope so for Leica

with so little information available about the CMOSIS sensor's performance, I think such speculation near worthless

the added resolution likely will be helpful, but the CCD sensor in the M9 & MM are hard acts to follow ...I believe Leica went with CMOSIS to allow for motion picture capture and suspect there will be an even higher resolution M typ released in the near future as well

I may be a Luddite, but I rarely find the need to shoot above 1600 ISO equivalent & much prefer controlling noise reduction post hoc rather than heavily in camera

I have found that Capture One's latest iteration allows for much improved noise performance with the M9's files, which is more than adequate for my photography

I have had no qualms shooting the M9 indoors and at high ISO and with Capture One 7's improved noise reduction engine for RAW conversion, I have even more latitude for low light captures

gaining a bit less noise at high ISO seems a bad deal if base ISO performance is compromised

-- hide signature --

pbase & dpreview supporter
DPR forum member since 5/2001
my PBase Galleries
"Avoid making a commotion, just as you wouldn’t stir up the water before fishing. Don’t use a flash out of respect for the natural lighting, even when there isn’t any. If these rules aren’t followed, the photographer becomes unbearably obtrusive" -- attributed to HCB

Artichoke's gear list:Artichoke's gear list
Agfa ePhoto 1680 Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Leica M8 Nikon D3X Leica M9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow