Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
gomoku
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to coudet, Dec 17, 2012

Actually I agree with Ken on this one.

A 50mm is liberating because you have to move and think before you shoot. The image quality is better and you have the opportunity for a shallow DOF / smooth bokeh effect which the mid-range zooms don't offer. And, the 50mm is much lighter and smaller.

With a high resolution camera (I use the D800) you can also crop quite easily in post if the 50mm was not exactly what you needed.

Of course a 50mm is not a 24mm and if the wide end is important to you you might reconsider. I use the 50mm f/1.4 along with the 16-35mm f/4 so I am covered on the wide end. In addition I also enjoy the fabulous 85mm f/1.8 for portraits. I haven't done the math but these 3 lenses together will not cost much more than the 24-70mm f/2.8 so it might be something to consider.

I never missed a mid-range zoom.

gomoku's gear list:gomoku's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow