Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,398Gear list
Like?
About dpreview scores A99 vs D600
Dec 17, 2012

I was comparing these 2 cameras and noticed that dpreview scored them equal on the viewfinder / screen rating. I played with a D600 and was very unimpressed with the LiveView functions as I don't use a viewfinder (e.g., no aperture changes reflected and no histogram view). The A99 has a more full featured, gorgeous, and articulating screen. Since it ties the crummy D600, is dpreview then suggesting that the EVF is that much more behind the D600 optical VF even though dpreview notes that the EVF on the A99 is, "impressively detailed and generally very nice to work with"? Or, does the A99's, "Live view not available with continuous shooting above 3 fps" bringing it down that much? That doesn't bother me as I rarely shoot multiple frames per second. But I really like shooting with the LCD screen over a VF and that was drawing me towards the A99.

I am asking because I had ruled out the D600 largely because of the LiveView limitations, but now I am wondering if the A99 is severely limited as well. And of course the tie from dpreview is not the be all and end all way to compare since this score is fairly nebulous without seeing the rating scales, etc. . . I was just curious to better understand how these 2 cameras tied on VF and screens and wondered if anyone had experience with both cameras in this regard.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Nikon D600 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow