Very hazy and smoky in the Tetons; why did my IR converted camera cut thru the smoke?

Started Aug 22, 2012 | Photos thread
Steven Sax
Regular MemberPosts: 447Gear list
Like?
Re: Very hazy and smoky in the Tetons; why did my IR converted camera cut thru the smoke?
In reply to EternalOne, Dec 17, 2012

Are you kidding me? I'm well aware that IR light has a longer wavelength than visual light, and therefore will not experience the same reflection and refraction. I understand that the near IR spectrum of 700-900 nm will cut thru atmospheric haze, but I didn't realize that much more particulate matter like smoke would allow similar visualization. I was hoping someone could discuss just how much this effect would allow for; ie, could you use it to image thru extremely smokey fires, to get remarkable images? I've taken two online courses in IR photography, and have read one book (admittedly terrible by Sandidge, can you recommend one?). And yes, I saw some pictures 50 years ago, and thought, wow, I'd like to take some. So yes, that's how I became an amateur photographer. Does that make me a dilletante? By the way. images 3-8 in your gallery are terrific, images 9-11 are crap.

Fondly, Steve Sax, MD

To Jawah, the eternal one. Happy Hanukah

Steven Sax's gear list:Steven Sax's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow