Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,048Gear list
Like?
Re: Dumping the Oly 45mm
In reply to bowportes, Dec 17, 2012

bowportes wrote:

Robert Deutsch wrote:

I bought the 45/1.8 when I had the the GX1, and, being used to the OIS of the 14-42x and the 45-175, found the 45's lack of image stabilization to be a significant downside in low light. I pretty well had to use at least 1/90 sec. to maintain sharpness, which meant effectively losing the f1.8 aperture advantage (not as far as DOF, of course).

Things changed when I got the OM-D. I did a series of test shots with the 45mm, IBIS on. I got acceptable sharpness down to 1/5 sec. That's a full 5 stops down from the "reciprocal rule" and much better than the 2-3 stops that I get from the Panasonic OIS under the same conditions. The 45mm really shows its stuff when used on the OM-D.

Having said that, if I had the 12-35, I'm not sure if I'd keep the 45 as well. I don't think sharpness difference is much of an issue. It would come down to how much I needed/wanted the extra speed and shallower DOF available from the 45. The lens is small enough and cheap enough that I would probably keep it.

Bob

Bob, I'm curious what you've missed, if anything, from the GX1 once you started using the OM-D

I haven't actually missed it--in the sense that I had an actual need for it and it was not available--but I wish the OM-D had an on-camera flash.  The little flash that's included with the OM-D works well enough, but when you mount it you have three pieces of plastic that are in danger of being lost.   I bought an Olympus FL-600R flash, which leaves you with just one piece of plastic to have to look after--and, of course, it's a much more powerful and flexible flash.

(also whether you still own and use the GX1 at all, and if not, why).

I traded in the GX1 on the OM-D.  I have no use for two m4/3 cameras.  (I have a Sony RX100 as a backup.)

Other than the lowlight advantages of the IBIS, what were you most/least impressed with about the OM-D when you made the move?

Well, the 5-way IBIS is a big advantage: image stabilization for the Oly 45mm and the Panasonic 7-14 and 25mm, plus more effective image stabilization for the 14-42x and the 45-175.

But the major advantage of the OM-D is the sensor, which represents at least as much of an improvement in performance as the GX1 sensor represents over the GF1 sensor.  This is documented by DxO, and translates to improved IQ throughout the range of lighting conditions, especially low light.

The OM-D has a number of features that are better than what's available on the GX1.  These are too numerous to catalogue, but they include the folding LCD, the built-in EVF (more convenient to use than the accessory EVF for the GX1, which I had), and a feature that's not relevant for most users but is important to me: the ability to take 3D photos with any lens.

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow