Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.

Started Dec 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
glo
glo
Contributing MemberPosts: 986
Like?
Re: Ken Rockwell: Don't buy a midrange zoom. Carry a fixed 50mm instead, like a pro.
In reply to jean bernier, Dec 17, 2012

jean bernier wrote:

"like a pro "... Ridiculous. I can confirm that in events I cover, all photojournalist collegues have a 24 or 28-70mm lens bolted to their dslr. A second body usually carries the 70-200mm. All Nikon users have the 24-70mm installed, because in events, scrums, etc, you just don't know what lens will be required in the next 30 seconds, so there is no time to try to guess and take chances. Image quality is secondary in this context, not that the 24-70 is a slouch either...it is brillant.

In the days before really good midrange zooms became available, one could make do with a 35mm fixed lens, not a 50mm. The rest of the zooming was done with one's feet...

-- hide signature --

Jean Bernier All photographs are only more or less credible illusions

Jean,

You replied to me but are quoting someone else ("like a pro") - I agree with what you've said. The lenses you refer to are my first two choices as I go out the door to cover something.

glo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow